Patches and updates
ArcGIS (Desktop, Engine, Server) 10.0 Personal Geodatabase Unicode Item Definition Patch
ESRI® announces the ArcGIS (Desktop, Engine, Server) 10.0 Personal Geodatabase Unicode Item Definition Patch. This patch addresses an issue where Unicode strings in the definitions of items will become corrupt when using version 10 personal geodatabases with ArcGIS 10. The patch deals specifically with the issue listed below under Issues Addressed with this Patch.
Issues Addressed with this Patch
- NIM059333 -Object definitions containing Unicode characters stored in 10.0 personal (access) geodatabases are not persisted correctly.
Description: Non-english Unicode characters used in the definition of items become corrupted in version 10 personal geodatabases when using ArcGIS 10. This error corrupts the source data and is non-recoverable.
Only specific uses of non-english Unicode characters in the following item definitions will cause this behavior to occur (this is not a comprehensive list.): domain names, domain description, domain codes, default values, field aliases, table aliases, subtype names, subtype descriptions, feature dataset names, simple relationship names (but not attributed relationships), replica names, toolboxes names, topology names, geometric network names, network dataset names, terrain names, representation names.
Other uses of non-english Unicode characters, such as in the contents or names of geodatabase tables or feature classes will not be affected by this issue. Please see technical article 38149 for more information.
Files Installed in this Patch
- Windows <ArcGIS Product Installation Directory>\bin:
Installing this Patch on Windows
ArcGIS 10.0 must be installed before you can install this Patch.
- Download the appropriate file to a location other than your ArcGIS installation location.
ArcGIS Desktop ArcGIS-DT-10-GDB-ItemDefinition-Patch.msp ArcGIS Engine ArcGIS-E-10-GDB-ItemDefinition-Patch.msp ArcGIS Server GIS Services ArcGIS-SGIS-10-GDB-ItemDefinition-Patch.msp ArcGIS Server Java ArcGIS-SJ-10-GDB-ItemDefinition-Patch.msp
- Make sure you have write access to your ArcGIS installation location, and that no one is using ArcGIS.
- For ArcGIS Server Only: Open the Services Management Console> Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services. Stop the ArcGIS Server Object Manager and ArcGIS Server SOC Monitor services.
- Double-click ArcGIS-<Product>-10-GDB-ItemDefinition-Patch.msp to start the install process.
NOTE: If double clicking on the MSP file does not start the Patch installation, you can start the Patch installation manually by using the following command:
msiexec.exe /p [location of Patch]\ArcGIS-<Product>-10-GDB-ItemDefinition-Patch.msp
- When Setup starts, follow the instructions on your screen. At the end of the installation, follow the instructions to run the GIS Server Post Install.
- For ArcGIS Server Only: Open the Services Management Console> Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services. Start the ArcGIS Server Object Manager and ArcGIS Server SOC Monitor services.
- System Administrators - A technical paper is available that discusses the enterprise deployment of ArcGIS 10 setups using Microsoft® Systems Management Server (SMS) and Group Policy, including additional system requirements, suggestions, known issues, and Microsoft Software Installation (MSI) command line parameters. Deployment in a lockdown environment is also covered. ArcGIS 10 Enterprise Deployment.
Check Online Support Center periodically for the availability of additional patches. New information about this Patch will be posted here.
How to identify which Patch is installed
To find out what ArcGIS products are currently installed on your machine, download the PatchFinder utility and run it from your local machine.
Domestic sites, please contact ESRI Technical Support at 1-888-377-4575, if you have any difficulty installing this Service Pack. International sites, please contact your local ESRI software distributor.
Get help from ArcGIS experts
Download the Esri Support App