Problem: ArcGIS Pro 3.0 is having issues opening existing projects
ArcGIS Pro is not opening existing projects, and elements such as maps or layouts appear blank, or the program takes too takes long opening them or they do not load.
- The Microsoft Access Database Engine 2016 Redistributable 64-bit is not installed on the machine.
- Microsoft .NET Desktop Runtime version 6.0.5 or later is not installed.
- In some cases, projects may not open that have data in an incompatible version of Excel. Depending on the version of Microsoft Office, it may be necessary to perform a silent install of both 32-bit .NET Runtime and 32-bit Access DB driver, or sometimes one or the other, see the Guide to connecting to Excel files in ArcGIS Pro.
Solution or Workaround
Depending on the cause, choose the options below to resolve the issue.
Install Microsoft Access Database Engine 2016 Redistributable 64-bit
To confirm this component is not installed, from the File Explorer browse to C:\Windows\SysWOW64 and launch the odbcad32.exe file, click the Drivers tab, and confirm the Microsoft Access Driver has both databases: .mdb and .accdb as in the image below:
- Download and install the Microsoft Access Database Engine 2016 Redistributable 64-bit.
- Reboot the machine so the driver is applied properly.
- Open the project in ArcGIS Pro 3.0.
Install Microsoft .NET Desktop Runtime 6.0.5
- Download and install Microsoft .NET Desktop Runtime 6.0.5 or later.
- Restart the computer.
- Open the desired projects.
- How To: Connect to Microsoft Access 2007 / 2010 (ACCDB) files in ArcGIS
- Microsoft: Microsoft Access Database Engine 2016 Redistributable
- ArcGIS Pro: Migration from ArcGIS Pro 2.x to 3.0
- Problem: Issues accessing Excel files in ArcGIS Pro 3.0
- Guide to connecting to Excel files in ArcGIS Pro
- Install the drivers to work with Microsoft Excel files
Last Published: 9/27/2022
Article ID: 000027931
Software: ArcGIS Pro 3.0.2, 3.0.1, 3.0