Problem: Unable to log in and create new accounts in Portal for ArcGIS
In some instances, attempts to log in to Portal for ArcGIS for the first time fail, and new user accounts cannot be created. If the account is not created automatically upon login, organization-specific users may access the portal, though only with the privileges of a user without an ArcGIS organizational account.
- The ‘enableAutomaticAccountCreation’ setting is set to ‘false’.
- ArcGIS Web Adaptor is not configured correctly. For example, the 'Windows Authentication' option is disabled in Internet Information Server (IIS) Manager.
Solution or Workaround
Depending on the cause, choose one of the options below to resolve the issue.
Set the enableAutomaticAccountCreation setting to ‘true’
- Log in to the Portaladmin API using an administrator account. For example:
https://portal.domain.com:7443/<web adaptor name>/portaladmin
- Select Security > Config > Update Security Configuration.
- Edit the enableAutomaticAccountCreation configuration to read: true.
- Click Update Configuration.
Properly configure ArcGIS Web Adaptor
Configure ArcGIS Web Adaptor in Internet Information Server (IIS) Manager correctly. For steps, refer to Portal for ArcGIS: Configure ArcGIS Web Adaptor to use IWA.
- ArcGIS Enterprise: About ArcGIS Web Adaptor
- ArcGIS Enterprise: Configure ArcGIS Web Adaptor
- Portal for ArcGIS: Portal authentication configuration
- Portal for ArcGIS: Manage access to your portal
Last Published: 10/14/2021
Article ID: 000026600
Software: Portal for ArcGIS 10.9, 10.8.1, 10.8