Problem: Symbol labels do not display on the map in ArcGIS Pro
When a map service is loaded into ArcGIS Pro, the symbol labels do not display on the map, as shown in the image below.
- The map service contains features that are not supported in ArcGIS Pro.
- The map is using an inappropriate symbology type.
Solution or Workaround
Choose one of the options below, depending on the cause, to resolve the issue.
Modify the default label class in ArcGIS Pro
- In ArcGIS Pro, right-click on the layer, and select Label.
- Click Labeling Properties to view the Label Class pane.
- In the Label Class pane, under Class, select SQL, and set the clause for the desired data. In the following example, the Freeway or Major Road option is selected from the FRC_DESC field to be displayed on the map.
- Select Add Clause, and click Apply.
- Click the Symbol tab in the Label Class pane, and expand Callout. Select Point Symbol.
- Select the settings for the symbol, and click Apply. Refer to ArcGIS Pro: Point symbols for steps to do so.
Create a new label class in ArcGIS Pro
To display the symbol labels on the map in ArcGIS Pro, create a new label class. For instructions, refer to the article, How To: Label highways with a shield marker containing the highway number in ArcGIS Pro.
Use an appropriate symbology type
To display the labels on the map in ArcGIS Pro, ensure the appropriate symbology is used. Refer to ArcGIS Pro: Unique values for more information.
The following image shows the symbol labels displayed on the map in ArcGIS Pro.
Last Published: 7/29/2021
Article ID: 000026058
Software: ArcGIS Pro 2.8.1, 2.8