Problem: ArcGIS REST Admin returns an empty Update Definition window when editing a service definition file for a feature service in Portal for ArcGIS
In Portal for ArcGIS, editing a service definition file using the workflow to access ArcGIS Online REST Admin services returns an empty Update Definition window.
Using the ArcGIS Online workflow to update the service definition file of a feature layer in Portal for ArcGIS does not work because ArcGIS REST Admin is designed for use in ArcGIS Online. Therefore, no access is granted to the ArcGIS Server Administrator endpoint of the hosting server to make such edits to the feature services in Portal for ArcGIS.
Solution or Workaround
To update the service definition file in ArcGIS Server, follow the instructions below.
- Log in to ArcGIS Server Administrator Directory as an administrator.
- In the Site Root-/ page, navigate to services and click the folder name of the feature service.
- Click the name of the required service.
- In the Service page, for Supported Operations:, click edit. This option can be found at the bottom of the page.
- In the Edit FeatureServer page, locate the parameters and make the necessary edits.
- Specify a format from the Format: drop-down menu.
- Click Save Edits.
- ArcGIS REST APIs: Get started
- ArcGIS Server: Portal for ArcGIS URLs
- ArcGIS REST APIs: Managing access to the ArcGIS Server Administration REST API
Last Published: 1/19/2023
Article ID: 000025581
Software: ArcGIS Online Current Portal for ArcGIS 10.9.1, 10.9, 10.8.1, 10.8