How To: Generate a keycodes file to authorize an enterprise geodatabase when an ArcGIS Server instance is unavailable
When authorizing an enterprise geodatabase on an ArcGIS Server instance, a keycodes file is required to complete the authorization process. As the keycodes file is generated during the authorization process, in some instances, when access to an ArcGIS Server instance is unavailable, the authorization process cannot be completed. For example, when a different machine is used for the authorization, or when the server is unavailable.
Follow the steps below to complete the software authorization process, and generate a new keycodes file to authorize an enterprise geodatabase when an ArcGIS Server instance is unavailable.
Note: An authorization file for ArcGIS Server is still required to perform the following procedure. It is not possible to authorize an enterprise geodatabase if only an ArcGIS Desktop license is available.
- On the machine, navigate to the following location:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\ArcGIS\bin
- Double-click SoftwareAuthorization.exe to run the authorization wizard.
- In Software Authorization Wizard, under Authorization Options, select I have received an authorization file and am now ready to finish the authorization process..
- Click Browse... to select the .ecp authorization file obtained from My Esri. Select the file used to authorize the organization's ArcGIS Server machine.
Note: Refer to the ArcGIS Server administrator to determine the correct ECP file.
- For Product to be Authorized, ensure ArcGIS Server is selected, and click Next.
- Refer to Steps 7 to 14 of ArcGIS Pro: Authorize a Single Use license to complete the software authorization process.
- Navigate to the following location to access the newly created keycodes file and verify the keycodes file is present:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Esri\License10.x\sysgen
- Authorize the enterprise geodatabase with the newly created keycodes file. Refer to ArcGIS Pro: Update Enterprise Geodatabase License (Data Management) for more information.
- ArcGIS Enterprise: Authorizing ArcGIS Server
- ArcGIS Server: Enterprise geodatabases
- ArcGIS Server: View software authorization metadata in Manager
Last Published: 2/24/2021
Article ID: 000024911
Software: ArcGIS Pro 2.7, 2.6.4, 2.6.3, 2.6.2, 2.6.1, 2.6, 2.5.2, 2.5.1, 2.5