Problem: ArcGIS StoryMaps crashes and fails to load embedded maps on iOS devices
Adding the Sidecar block is one way to embed multimedia content in ArcGIS StoryMaps. It creates a smooth transition between maps, images, and other media. In some cases, when opening ArcGIS StoryMaps on iOS devices, the web browser crashes and fails to load the embedded maps in the sidecar blocks.
The sidecar contains too many embedded maps. When the sidecar blocks are loading in the web browser, all the embedded maps in the sidecar are downloaded simultaneously, causing the web browser to crash. The best practice is to embed a maximum of four maps in one sidecar.
Solution or Workaround
Note: The following solution may require the story map to be rebuilt. If necessary, duplicate the story map to avoid deleting important data.
In ArcGIS StoryMaps, divide the sidecars containing five or more embedded maps to four as the maximum number of the embedded maps for a sidecar block.
- In ArcGIS StoryMaps, navigate to the story map containing the sidecar and embedded maps, click the Quick actions button, and click Edit.
- In the sidecar panel, click the More options button, and click Delete sidecar to delete the existing sidecar.
- Click the Add content block button, and select Sidecar.
- In the Change layout window, select the panel layout, and click Done.
- In the media panel of the first sidecar slide, click Add media, and select Add embed.
- In the Add embed window, paste the link of the web map, and click Add.
- Click the New slide button to add a new sidecar slide.
- Repeat Steps 5 through 7 until the total number of the sidecar slides is four.
- Repeat Steps 3 through 8 a few more times depending on the number of web maps to include.
The following image demonstrates the embedded map loaded successfully on the iOS device.
- ArcGIS StoryMaps: Add sidecars
- ArcGIS StoryMaps: Modify a published story
- ArcGIS Blog: Six(ish) ways to use sidecar in ArcGIS StoryMaps
Last Published: 4/15/2021
Article ID: 000024710
Software: Other Product Other