How To: Replace default point symbols from a feature service with a user-defined block in ArcGIS for AutoCAD
ArcGIS for AutoCAD is a plug-in used to add, create, and edit GIS information in AutoCAD drawings. However, symbols of a feature service are not scalable in AutoCAD.
The purpose of this article is to provide a workflow to overwrite these default symbols using user defined blocks. For the following steps to work, ensure the ArcGIS for AutoCAD plug-in is enabled. Refer to: How To: Set up ArcGIS for AutoCAD to launch at AutoCAD startup for more information. The steps below are as follows.
- Create and define a block in AutoCAD. For more information on creating and defining blocks, refer to the AutoCAD: Blocks documentation.
The features are added to the current drawing on one or more layers that are auto-generated with the names ESRI___. If the feature class does not have a subtype then it is not used. So, in the Block Definition dialog box enter a name for the block (this service does not contain any subtypes) as displayed in the following:
Optionally, if a block is already created, use the RENAME command in the Command Line to rename the block. This is to match the block name to the feature service layer to replace the default point symbol.
- Select Blocks in Named Objects.
- Click the block name in Items. The name displays in the Old Name text box.
- Type the new name of the block in the Rename To text box in the correct format as shown in step 1. The block item name must match the feature service layer name to replace the default point symbol.
- Click OK.
- Use the Add Service icon to add a service to ArcGIS for AutoCAD.
- On the ArcGIS tab, click Add Service.
- In the Warning: No Coordinate System Defined window, click Assign to set the preferred coordinate system.
- In the Add GIS Service dialog box if no existing GIS Server connection exists, click New Server Connection. Fill in the Server Name and Server URL, and click Next.
- Once connected to the GIS Server, select the feature service layer and set necessary parameters as desired.
- Click Add. The feature service point layer is added to the drawing, and the feature points are replaced with the assigned blocks.
The image below shows the default point symbols replaced with the user-defined blocks.
- Esri: ArcGIS for AutoCAD
- AutoCAD: About Defining Blocks
- How To: Create AutoCAD BLOCKS with attributes from ArcGIS point features
- How To: Set up ArcGIS for AutoCAD to launch at AutoCAD startup