How To: Add and update Google Sheets data in ArcGIS Online
Google Sheets enables multiple users to update worksheets on any compatible device. This is especially useful when working with ArcGIS Online, as the updates made to Google Sheets are reflected once the worksheet is added as a CSV file, or as a hosted feature layer in ArcGIS Online. However, this is a one-way process, as updates made in ArcGIS Online do not update the related Google Sheets.
As an example, the image below shows a sheet entitled 'Earthquake M4.5+ Q4 2019'. A total of 281 large earthquakes of magnitudes 4.5 and above were reported from October 15 to October 31, 2019. Once the worksheet is uploaded and configured with one of the methods described below, any additional data updated in Google Sheets is reflected in ArcGIS Online.
To add and update Google Sheets data in ArcGIS Online, add Google Sheets as an item on the ArcGIS Online Content tab to be hosted as a feature layer. Complete the following steps:
Note: This method requires users to have the privilege to publish hosted feature layers. For more information on privileges, refer to ArcGIS Online: User types, roles, and privileges.
- In ArcGIS Online, open the Content tab.
- Click Add Item > From cloud drive, as shown in the image below.
- In the Add item from cloud drive dialog box, select the Google Drive icon.
- In the Add item from Google Drive dialog box, select Google Sheets from the drop-down list, and choose the desired Google Sheets.
- Configure the necessary details and click Publish.
Google Sheets is hosted in ArcGIS Online as a hosted feature layer. The image below shows 281 large earthquakes from October 15 to October 31, 2019.
- Update Google Sheets. In this example, data from November 1 to November 6, 2019 were added to Google Sheets.
- In ArcGIS Online, open the item details page of the Google Sheets hosted as a feature layer. Click Update Data > Overwrite Entire Layer.
- In the Overwrite from Google Drive dialog box, click Sign in with Google Drive.
Note: Overwriting the layer geocodes all the addresses or places in the updated file, if addresses and places were used to locate features when the layer was first published. This may use credits depending on how the ArcGIS Online organization is configured. Refer to ArcGIS Online: Manage hosted feature layers for more information.
The hosted feature layer is updated. Opening the hosted feature layer in Map Viewer shows the information is updated according to the updates made in Google Sheets. The image below shows 338 incidents of large earthquakes from October 15 to November 6, 2019.
- ArcGIS Online: Add items
- ArcGIS Online: Publish hosted feature layers - Publish a Google Sheet
- ArcGIS Blog: ArcGIS Online - Using Google Docs in your ArcGIS Online maps
- Esri UK & Ireland CommunityHub: Using Google Docs in your ArcGIS Online maps
- GeoNet: Participatory Mapping with Google Forms, Google Sheets, and ArcGIS Online
- GeoNet 158013: Connecting to Google Drive through ArcGIS Desktop
Last Published: 6/26/2020
Article ID: 000022290