How To: Add Mapbox map styles as basemaps in ArcGIS Online
Basemaps from other sources such as Mapbox can be added to ArcGIS Online. MapBox contains multiple map style options that can be used to create customized basemaps as a reference to the map layer. Map styles from Mapbox can also be added as a Web Map Tile Service (WMTS) to ArcGIS Online.
Note: Mapbox is an open source mapping platform for mobile and web applications. To browse the collection of maps in the application, create and sign in to the Mapbox account.
To add a Mapbox map style as a basemap in ArcGIS Online, create the basemap in Mapbox, and add the basemap to ArcGIS Online.
Note: Mapbox is a third-party product and may consume credits. Esri is not responsible for positioning inaccuracies, subsequent updates, errors, or omissions of data.
In the Mapbox website
- On the Mapbox Gallery page, select the desired basemap style, and click Learn More. In this example, the Decimal map is used.
- Click Add Decimal to your account to add the map style to the Mapbox account.
- In the Mapbox Studio style editor, click Share to open the Share dialog box.
- Click Third party under the Developer resources section, and select WMTS from the drop-down list.
- Click the Copy icon at the end of the Integration URL field to copy the integration URL.
In ArcGIS Online
- Log in to ArcGIS Online, and navigate to Map.
- Click the Add drop-down list, and select Add Layer from Web.
- In the Add Layer from web dialog box, do the following:
- For What type of data are you referencing?, select A WMTS OGC Web Service.
- Paste the integration URL copied in step 5 of the Mapbox workflow above, and click GET LAYERS.
- Check the Use as Basemap check box under Layer and, click ADD LAYER.
The image below shows the Map Viewer with the Mapbox map as the basemap.
- ArcGIS Online: OGC
- ArcGIS Online: Use your own basemap
- ArcGIS Online: FAQ: Can I change the default styles in my map?
- How To: Add MapBox map styles as basemaps in ArcGIS Pro
- How To: Add Mapbox map styles as basemaps in ArcMap