Problem: Unable to download file geodatabases from an ArcGIS Server map service
Attempts to download file geodatabases from an ArcGIS Server map service in ArcGIS Hub fail.
This is a known limitation. In ArcGIS Hub, a map service cannot be downloaded as a file geodatabase. Refer to ArcGIS Hub: Enable file geodatabase downloads for more information.
Solution or Workaround
Alternatively, prepare the metadata to have additional download files and related documents, which are displayed as Additional Resources in the download section of the Data page, on ArcGIS Hub.
- Launch ArcMap, and create an .xml file.
- In the Catalogue window, right-click the folder, and click New > XML Document.
- Name the .xml file.
- Ensure the metadata of the map service is in the ESRI-ISO metadata format.
Note: This format is important as it ensures the options required in the following steps are available.
- In ArcMap, navigate to Customize > ArcMap Options.
- In the ArcMap Options window, click the Metadata tab.
- For Metadata Styles, select ISO 19139 Metadata Implementation Specification from the drop-down list.
- Click OK.
- Right-click the .xml file, and click Item Description.
- In the Item Description window, click Edit.
- On the Resource tab, click Distribution.
- In the Distribution Information pane, expand Online Resource.
- For Linkage, enter a URL to the download file or an external related link.
- Enter a Name for the file.
- Set the Function parameter to Download.
- Click Save.
- Publish the map service.
Note: When publishing the map service, in the Service Editor window, click Capabilities, and enable Feature Access. On the Feature Access tab, enable Query for Operations allowed.
- Log in to Portal for ArcGIS, and overwrite the .xml file of the map service.
- Navigate to the Item Details page of the published service in Portal for ArcGIS, and click Metadata.
- Click the Overwrite tab, and select the .xml file created in Step 1.
Note: When a map service is published, information under the Distribution Format and Digital Transfer Options headings at the top of the Distribution page are not included.
- Log in to the ArcGIS Open Data site. Navigate to the dataset, and click Download. The files are available for download in the Additional Resources section.
Note: To add the document and the additional download files in the same .xml file, right-click the existing XML document in ArcMap, and click Edit > Resource> Distribution. Expand Digital Transfer Options, and click New Online Resource.
- ArcGIS Hub: Prepare data for your site
- ArcMap: Choosing a metadata style
- ArcMap: Upgrading existing FGDC metadata from the Description tab
- ArcMap: Upgrade Metadata
- ArcMap: Import Metadata