How To: Enable hover pop-ups in Esri Story Map
By default, to view an attribute of a feature in Esri Story Map, the user must click on the feature and an attribute pop-up window shows the value. Esri Story Map does not offer the 'hover over' functionality that automatically displays information in a map application.
However, Media Map offers the hover pop-up functionality in a map application, allowing users to view attributes by hovering the cursor over a feature. To configure this functionality in an existing Esri Story Map application, users must create another map application using the Media Map template, and embed the map via URL into the Esri Story Map application.
This article details the steps to embed a Media Map application to enable the hover pop-up capability in an Esri Story Map application.
Follow the steps in the workflows below to configure the hover pop-up functionality in Esri Story Map.
Create a map with a Media Map template
- Create a web app with the same web map used to create the Esri Story Map application, using a Media Map template.
- Navigate to the General tab and check Enable hover popups. Select the hover pop-up type from the drop-down list.
Note: Floating hover pop-ups display the attribute window as a pop-up next to the feature. Fixed hover pop-ups display the attribute window in a specific location on the screen. Options include top-right, top-left, bottom-right, and bottom-left.
- Click Save.
- Click Launch to open the Media Map application. Hovering over features shows an interactive pop-up attribute window.
Embed the Media Map application in the Esri Story Map application
- Navigate to the existing Esri Story Map application. Click Settings.
- Select Web Mapping Application.
- Paste the Media Map application link into the Data Source URL text box. Click Save.
- Click Launch to open the Esri Story Map application. Hovering over features shows an interactive pop-up attribute window.
- ArcGIS Online: Configure pop-ups
- ArcGIS Online: Create apps from maps
- ArcGIS Online: Choose a configurable app