Problem: ArcMap closes unexpectedly after the Generating ArcID Module pop-up appears
Upon launching ArcMap, a pop-up appears displaying the message 'Generating ArcID Module' and ArcMap closes unexpectedly.
This issue can occur due to compatibility issues with Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) and ArcMap.
Solution or Workaround
This issue can be resolved by disabling the option to preload VBA. VBA applications can still be run by installing the ArcGIS for Desktop VBA Compatibility program.
However, starting with the ArcGIS Desktop 10.5 release, VBA is no longer supported. It is recommended that existing VBA users continue to use ArcGIS Desktop version 10.2.2 or earlier, or migrate VBA customizations to ArcMap add-ins, ArcPy scripts, or ArcGIS Pro add-ins built with the Pro SDK for .NET.
Warning: The instructions below include making changes to essential parts of your operating system. It is recommended that you backup your operating system and files, including the registry, before proceeding. Consult a qualified computer systems professional, if necessary. Esri cannot guarantee results from incorrect modifications while following these instructions. Therefore, use caution and proceed at your own risk.
- Click the Windows Start button and type:
- From the search results, right-click regedit.exe and run the application with administrative privileges.
- In Registry Editor, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Wow6432Node > ESRI > Desktop10.x > ArcMap > Settings.
- On the right pane, double-click on PreloadVBA and change the Value from 1 to 0.
- Problem: A VBA initialization failed error occurs when launching ArcGIS for Desktop 10.x
- ArcGIS Blog: ArcGIS Desktop and VBA Moving Forward