Problem: Basemap surface error icon returned from server
When attempting to change a basemap in ArcGIS Maps for Office, a surface error icon is returned from the server, and basemap thumbnails appear broken. The basemaps work despite the thumbnails being broken.
The code for the thumbnails is not detected, causing the server to report surface errors in place of the basemap thumbnails. This occurs when the ArcGIS Online organizational account has the 'Allow access to the organization through HTTPS only' setting checked.
Solution or Workaround
To circumvent the issue, follow the steps listed below.
Note: The following steps must be performed by the ArcGIS Online Organization administrator.
- Log in to ArcGIS Online.
- Navigate to Organization > Settings > Security.
- Uncheck the Allow access to the organization through HTTPS only check box.
- ArcGIS Maps for Office: Change the basemap
- ArcGIS Maps for Office: Frequently asked questions
- ArcGIS Online: Changes to organization security settings