How To: Enable latitude and longitude coordinates searching with StreetMap Premium classic locators
Latitude and longitude coordinates are valid inputs for a geocode service to search for locations. However, StreetMap Premium classic locators do not allow latitude and longitude coordinates location searching when used locally in ArcMap and ArcGIS Pro, or when published as a service to ArcGIS Enterprise. This is because by default, the line for coordinates searching in the classic locators XML document is commented out, as shown in the following image.
To enable latitude and longitude coordinates searching with StreetMap Premium classic locators:
- In Windows File Explorer, navigate to the ArcGIS installation directory for ArcGIS Desktop and open the StreetMap Premium locators folder.
Note: For ArcMap, navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\Desktop10.X\Locators For ArcGIS Pro, navigate to C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\Resources\Locators
- Open the XML document with an XML editor, such as Notepad++.
Note: The XML document file name varies depending on the data suppliers. For example, USA_StreetAddress.loc.xml if using HERE data or USA_<year/release>_TT_StreetAddress.loc.xml if using TomTom data.
- In the XML editor, press Ctrl + F and search for coordinates.
- Uncomment the line, change <!--<alt ref="Coordinates"/>--> to <alt ref="Coordinates"/>
- Save and close the XML document.
- Re-add the locator:
- To add the locator in an ArcMap document, refer to ArcMap Help: Adding an address locator to an ArcMap document.
- To add the locator in an ArcGIS Pro project, in the Catalog pane, select Locator > Add Locator.
- To add the locator in ArcGIS Enterprise, republish or overwrite the locator by referring to ArcGIS Server: Publishing the address locator.
- Latitude and longitude coordinates searching is now available in StreetMap Premium locators.
- StreetMap Premium for ArcGIS: Frequently asked questions
- ArcGIS Pro Help: Geocode with StreetMap Premium classic locators in ArcGIS Pro
- ArcGIS Pro Help: Geocode with StreetMap Premium new locators in ArcGIS Pro
- ArcGIS Pro Help: Find places on the map
- ArcGIS Server: Geocode services
Last Published: 5/10/2019
Article ID: 000020127
Software: Portal for ArcGIS 10.5.1, 10.5