How To: Change the area fill of a hosted feature layer to the hatched symbology in ArcGIS Online
Using the hatched symbology as an area fill is useful when symbolizing different types of characteristics, such as types of woodwork in the construction industry, types of steel in engineering drawing, or distinguishing lithological patterns in geology. Although the option for hatched symbology is not available in ArcGIS Online, changing a hosted feature layer area fill to the hatched symbology is possible by altering the Simple Fill Symbol (esriSFS) property from the REST endpoint.
The image below shows the bedrock geology in Indiana during the Paleozoic era. Three map notes layers are drawn to represent mapping activities conducted in May, June, and July. In this article, the map layers for May will be symbolized using the hatched symbology.
Use the following steps to change the area fill of a hosted feature layer to the hatched symbology in ArcGIS Online:
Note: To perform these steps, log in with administrator credentials and ensure the hosted feature layer is not shared publicly.
- In ArcGIS Online Map Viewer, save the layer drawn to create a feature layer.
- Open the item details page of the feature layer and click Publish to publish the feature layer as a hosted feature layer.
- Open the item details page of the hosted feature layer. At the Layers section, click the Service URL for Areas. This opens the Areas ArcGIS REST Services Directory page.
- In the Areas ArcGIS REST Services Directory URL, insert admin between rest and services. Press Enter on the keyboard.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click Update Definition. This opens the Update Layer Definition page.
- In the Update Layer Definition page, press CTRL + F on the keyboard to open a search bar. Search for esriSFSSolid.
- Change esriSFSSolid to esriSFSForwardDiagonal. For more information on other simple fill symbols, refer to Web map specification: Simple Fill Symbol (esriSFS).
- In the search bar, search for lastEditDate.
- Change the lastEditDate value to " ".
- In the ASync field, click True.
- Click Update Layer Definition.
- In ArcGIS Online Map Viewer, add the recently altered hosted feature layer by clicking Add > Add Layer from Web.
- In the Add Layer from Web dialog box, enter the service URL. Click ADD LAYER.
- FAQ: What are the symbology considerations when publishing to ArcGIS Online?
- ArcGIS REST API help: Update Definition (Feature Service)
- ArcGIS REST API help: Update Definition (Feature Layer)
- ArcGIS Ideas: Support more robust symbology hatching