Problem: ArcMap freezes when using a borrowed Concurrent Use license
After borrowing a Concurrent Use license from ArcGIS License Manager on a different subnet, ArcMap freezes for some time when performing a variety of operations, such as geoprocessing. However, checking out the license does not trigger the issue.
The issue only occurs when using a borrowed license from a remote ArcGIS License Manager in another subnet. Using a borrowed license from a local ArcGIS License Manager does not trigger the issue.
Solution or Workaround
To prevent ArcMap from freezing while using a borrowed Concurrent Use license, the service.txt file on the license server must be modified to contain the Fully Qualified Domain Name (FQDN) of the license server.
- On the license server, navigate to the following directory and open service.txt.
- For ArcGIS License Manager 10.1 to 10.6.1:
C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\License10.x\bin
- For ArcGIS License Manager 2018 and 2018.1
C:\Program Files (x86)\ArcGIS\LicenseManager\bin
- By default, the contents of the file are as follows:
SERVER this_host ANY 27000 VENDOR ARCGIS USE_SERVER
- Edit the file by replacing 'this_host' with the FQDN of the license server.
- Save the service.txt file.