Problem: Hosted tile layers do not render on the map when working offline in Collector for ArcGIS
In some instances, when syncing hosted tile layers to work offline in the Collector for ArcGIS app, the tile layers do not render on the map if they are generated from the server-side in ArcGIS Online.
This is a known limitation. Tile layers created from the server-side are not supported in the Collector for ArcGIS app. For more information, refer to BUG-000114003.
Solution or Workaround
To resolve this issue, create a tile package in ArcMap or ArcGIS Pro, and publish the tile package as a hosted tile layer to ArcGIS Online before syncing the hosted tile layer to Collector for ArcGIS.
- In ArcMap or ArcGIS Pro, create a tile package using the Create Map Tile Package tool or refer to ArcMap Help: How to create tile package.
- After creating the tile package, share it as a hosted tile layer to ArcGIS Online using the Share Package tool.
- In the ArcGIS Online Content page, click the hosted tile layer to view the Item Details page.
- Click Settings and select Tile Layer (hosted). Under the Offline Mode section, check the Allow this layer to be downloaded and used in an offline map option and click Save.
- Open the hosted tile layer in Map Viewer and click Save to save the hosted tile layer as a web map.
- In the Collector for ArcGIS app, sync the web map to work offline in the app. The hosted tile layer is now visible on the map.
- ArcGIS Pro Help: Create Map Tile Package
- ArcGIS Pro Help: Share Package
- ArcGIS Online Help: Publish hosted tile layers from files
- ArcGIS Online Help: Build a tile package in ArcGIS Pro and upload to your organization
- ArcGIS Blog: Using your own Basemap layers with Collector for ArcGIS
- ArcGIS Blog: Using tile packages for publishing hosted tile layers
- Collector for ArcGIS (Classic): Supported data
- GeoNet: Is it possible to use hosted tile layer to take maps offline in Collector
- GeoNet: Collector-Download error