Problem: Unable to export layers with GUIDs or group layers to shapefiles
The 'Feature Class to Shapefile' and 'Feature Class to Geodatabase' tools fail to export layers to shapefiles if the layer is within a group layer, or the source data has a GUID or Global ID type field. The tools return the following error:
Error: Failed to convert: ERROR 000210: Cannot create output
The issue may occur due to the following reasons:
- If the source layer is within a group layer, the tools may be unable to find the folder name, such as the group layer name.
- Shapefiles do not support GUID or Global ID data types, so the tools fail while converting these data.
Solution or Workaround
Use one of the following methods to resolve the issue:
If the source layer is within a group layer, follow the steps below:
- In the desired output folder, create a new folder with the same name as the group layer.
<output folder>\<group layer>
- Select the parent folder <output folder> as the output location, and run the tool.
If the data contain fields of GUID or Global ID types, use the data export command. This converts any GUID or Global ID fields to text fields in the output shapefile.
- Right-click the layer in the Table Of Contents.
- Click Data > Export Data.
- Click the folder icon under Output feature class:
- Select a folder location for the output.
- For Save as type, select Shapefile.
- Enter a name for the shapefile.
- Click Save.
- Click OK.
- Problem: Python script fails and returns the error, "000210: Cannot create output."
- Error: 000210 Cannot create output when running Python scripts that create feature classes