Bug: Cannot upgrade/restore ArcGIS 10.5.1 geodatabase/PostgreSQL 9.5 to ArcGIS 10.6/PostgreSQL 9.6 when ST_RASTER is installed
The ST_RASTER SQL type was deprecated after the 10.5.1 release. However, its assemblies currently exist in PostgreSQL databases, as the type was installed into the database at a previous release. For PostgreSQL, the following error may be encountered while running the pg_restore utility to restore the sde schema:
[archiver (db)] could not execute query: ERROR: function sde.subset(sde.st_raster, text, text) does not exist
The Solution section below provides a method to remove the ST_RASTER type and its supporting functions from the geodatabase.
The ST_RASTER type was installed into the database at a previous release. This error occurs if the sde schema contains the deprecated ST_RASTER type.
There are no known reports of errors that have occurred due to the presence of the ST_RASTER type in SQL Server or Oracle databases.
- Perform a file system level backup. Refer to the PostgreSQL Documentation for instructions:
File System Level Backup
- Use this ArcGIS Desktop document to convert raster data from the ST_RASTER storage type to the RASTERBLOB storage type:
Convert raster data from ST_Raster to RASTERBLOB storage
- Remove all raster datasets from the database that have a column with an ST_RASTER type.
- Use this SQL statement to verify that no columns of type ST_RASTER remain in the geodatabase:
select relname from pg_class where oid = (select attrelid from pg_attribute where atttypid = (select oid from pg_type where typname = 'st_raster'))
- Connect to the database as the geodatabase administrator, and execute the SQL statements provided in the attached file in the Related Information section below to remove the ST_RASTER type and functions.
Cut and paste the statements in the attachment into a file and execute them as a script in your PostgreSQL SQL utility.
- Create a new dump file and restore it using pg_dump and pg_restore to verify that the database can be cleanly backed up and restored without error.
Last Published : 10/17/2018
Article ID: 000019239
Software: ArcMap 10.6.1, 10.6