Problem: Unable to publish a map document containing map services as a web map to Portal for ArcGIS using the MXD to Web Map tool
In some instances, when attempting to publish an ArcMap document containing map services to Portal for ArcGIS using the MXD to Web map tool, the tool fails to publish it as a web map.
This is a known limitation. The MXD to Web map tool does not support MXD files containing map services.
Solution or Workaround
To resolve this issue, instead of using the MXD to Web map tool, publish the map service using ArcGIS Pro.
- In ArcGIS Pro, sign in to access content from a portal.
- In the Insert tab, click the Import Map icon in the Project group to import the map services from the portal.
- In the Import dialog box, select the map document, and click OK.
- Set the map projection to Web Auxiliary Sphere using the Define Projection tool.
Note: Setting the projection is required for publishing where the map projection must match the basemap projection.
- Share the web map to Portal for ArcGIS.
- ArcGIS Pro Help: Tools that are not available in ArcGIS Pro
- ArcGIS Server: Tutorial: Publishing a map service
- ArcGIS Server: Example: Publish a map service from a map document (MXD)
- Portal for ArcGIS: Web Maps
- GeoNet: How to publish a service from ArcGIS Pro to ArcGIS server?
Last Published: 12/12/2018
Article ID: 000019080
Software: ArcGIS Pro 2.2.4, 2.2.3, 2.2.2, 2.2.1, 2.2