Error: Unable to load KML: Internal kml parser error
When adding a KML file using the 'From my computer' option to Portal for ArcGIS, the following error message is returned:
Error: Unable to load KML: Internal kml parser error.
The error occurs because the script in the KML file is not encoded using UTF-8.
Solution or Workaround
Follow the steps below to encode the script using UTF-8.
- Open the KML file in a text editor such as Notepad ++.
- Click the Encoding tab and select Convert to UTF-8.
- Save the file and add to Portal for ArcGIS. For more detailed steps, refer to Portal for ArcGIS Web Help: Add layers from the web .
- Portal for ArcGIS Web Help: Add layers from the web
- Portal for ArcGIS Web Help: KML
- Portal for ArcGIS Web Help: What can you add to your portal?
- ArcMap Web Help: A quick tour of Unicode
- Portal for ArcGIS Web Help: Add items
Last Published: 5/2/2019
Article ID: 000018602
Software: Portal for ArcGIS 10.2.2, 10.2.1, 10.2