How To: Clip a grid to a specific polygon shape
A grid is a raster data storage format native to Esri representing either discrete data (integer grids) or continuous data (floating-point grids). In some cases, a grid with a large extent must be clipped to a specific polygon shape, keeping only the areas within the polygon. There are several methods to clip a grid to a specific polygon; using the Extract by Mask tool, using the Clip tool, or using the Clip button on the Image Analysis window. The figure below displays a grid layer overlain with a polygon feature as the extent to clip a portion of the grid.
To clip a grid to a specific polygon shape in ArcMap, use one of the following options:
Use the Extract by Mask tool
The Extract by Mask tool extracts the cells of a grid that correspond to the areas defined by a mask. The mask can be a raster or feature dataset. In this example, a polygon feature class is used as the mask to clip a grid.
Note: The Extract by Mask tool requires a Spatial Analyst license.
- In ArcMap, open the ArcToolbox window, and navigate to Spatial Analyst Tools > Extraction > Extract by Mask.
- In the Extract by Mask dialog box, select or browse the grid to clip as the Input raster.
- Select or browse the polygon feature class containing the polygon(s) to clip the grid as the Input raster or feature mask data.
- Set a name and location for the Output raster.
- Click OK. The clipped grid is displayed in the map as a new layer.
Use the Clip tool
The Clip tool is used to clip a portion of a grid by the minimum bounding rectangle of a feature class or by the polygon geometry of the features. To clip a grid by the polygon geometry of features in a feature class, select the feature class as the output extent, and check the 'Use Input Features for Clipping Geometry' option.
Note: To clip a grid to a specific polygon geometry in a polygon feature class containing multiple polygons, select the desired polygon feature on the map using the Select Features tool prior to opening the Clip dialog box.
- In ArcToolbox, navigate to Data Management Tools > Raster > Raster Processing > Clip.
- In the Clip dialog box, select or browse to the grid as the Input Raster.
- Select or browse to the polygon feature class containing the polygon(s) to clip the grid as the Output Extent.
- Check the Use Input Features for Clipping Geometry option. This enables clipping a grid using the polygon(s) in the selected feature class as the clipping extent.
- Set a name and location for the Output Raster Dataset.
- Click OK. The clipped grid is added to the map as a new layer.
Use the Clip button on the Image Analysis windowThe Clip button on the Image Analysis window provides the functionality to clip any raster including a grid using a selected polygon feature within a feature class layer. The following web help document provides a workflow for clipping a raster using the Clip button on the Image Analysis window: Using the Clip button on the Image Analysis window. However, the Clip function creates a temporary output layer. To save the layer file, export the layer to a new raster dataset. Refer to the following document for steps to export a raster layer to a new raster dataset: Exporting a raster in ArcMap.
- ArcMap Help: Clip
- ArcMap Help: Extract by Mask
- ArcMap Help: What is the Image Analysis window?
- ArcMap Help: Image Analysis window: Processing section
- ArcMap Help: Clip function
- How To: Clip or extract the area of a raster image using polygon features
- Problem: Pixels are shifting after clipping a raster using extract by mask