How To: Change the ArcGIS Data Store default folder location to a different storage drive
By default, the ArcGIS Data Store is configured to use the system drive (usually the C:\ drive.) The standard folder location is set to C:\arcgisdatastore or C:\arcgis\arcgisdatastore if the installation is done using ArcGIS Enterprise Builder (available in version 10.5.1 and above).
Because the system drive manages the operating system and stores all installed software in the machine, the drive may run out of storage space, thus affecting the process of backups. Therefore, the user may decide to utilize a different storage drive, either internal or external, to serve as the default folder location for the ArcGIS Data Store.
The default folder location can be changed using ArcGIS Data Store command utilities, accessed from the Windows Command Prompt. There are two ways to change the default storage drive.
Move the current folder by restoring the data store folder using the restoredatastore.bat command utility
- Stop the ArcGIS Data Store service. For more information, refer to the following web help document, ArcGIS Server: Starting and stopping services.
- Rename the current arcgisdatastore folder, for example, arcgisdatastore_old.
- Navigate to the 'etc' folder in the ArcGIS Data Store install directory:
- Edit the 'arcgis-data-store-config.properties' to reflect the new location of 'arcgisdatastore', as shown below, which changes the drive to the D: drive.
- Start the 'arcgisdatastore' service.
Use the changenosqldslocation command utility (for tile cache data stores)
- Run the Windows Command Prompt.
- Change the directory to the following folder:
- Run the changenosqldslocation command utility alongside the desired new location.
- Portal for ArcGIS: ArcGIS Data Store command utility reference
- Portal for ArcGIS: An overview of ArcGIS Data Store configuration