Problem: Hosted feature view does not inherit new field added to hosted feature service
After adding a new field to a hosted feature service, a view created from the service does not display the new field. The changes made to the schema do not appear to be inherited to the view from the primary hosted feature service. By default, schema changes such as adding or removing fields can only be made to the primary hosted feature layer. Any existing dependent hosted feature layer views should inherit the schema changes from the primary hosted feature layer, even though the view has been created previously.
The visibility of the field has been disabled. This is a known limitation, as the newly added field is not visible in the hosted feature layer view by default. The definition of each view must be updated for the newly added field to be visible in the hosted feature layer views. Refer to ArcGIS Online: Manage hosted feature layers for more information.
Solution or Workaround
The following solution resolves the issue by updating the definition of the hosted feature layer view:
- Log in to ArcGIS Online and navigate to the My Content tab.
- Click the hosted feature layer view to open its item details page.
- On the hosted feature layer view's item details page, click the Settings tab.
- Click Feature Layer (hosted, view) and click Update view.
- On the Update view page, configure the following settings.
- In the Choose layers section, under Layers, ensure the view layer is selected. Click Next.
- Under Included layers, in the Define filters and fields for individual layers section, click the view layer.
- In the Layer definitions pane, click the Fields tab > Select fields. The Select fields window opens.
- In the Select fields window, select the newly added field in the hosted feature service. In this example, the new field is NewField2022. Click Done.
- Click the back button in the Layer definitions section.
- In the Included layers pane, click Update.
- Open the view layer in Map Viewer or Map Viewer Classic, and open the attribute table.
- In Map Viewer Classic, in the attribute table, click the add icon on the top right, and check the new field to display it in the attribute table.
- In Map Viewer, in the attribute table, click the settings icon. In the Field visibility window, click the new field to display it and click Done.
- ArcGIS Online: Attribute field management
- ArcGIS Online: Create hosted feature layer views
- ArcGIS Blog: Introducing the new create and update view layer experiences
Last Published: 1/20/2022
Article ID: 000017596
Software: ArcGIS Online Current