How To: Upgrade from System Monitor to ArcGIS Monitor
What versions of System Monitor can be upgraded?
Upgrading from System Monitor 3.x or 10.5.x can be completed by following the instructions below in the section "Upgrade from System Monitor 3.x or 10.5.x to ArcGIS Monitor".
Upgrading from System Monitor 2.x or 1.x is not supported due to significant design changes. To move to ArcGIS Monitor 10.6, follow the instructions in the section below titled, "Migrate from System Monitor 2.x or 1.x to ArcGIS Monitor."
Upgrade from System Monitor 3.x or 10.5.x to ArcGIS Monitor
The monitoring service (.cpj file) can be imported from 3.x in the ArcGIS Monitor 10.6 Administrator. This creates a new Windows service, from which the same credentials working in 3.x can be set, and each counter type that was imported can be tested. After the test is successful, new data for those counters can be collected. If there are any extensions or tasks present, the latest version of the extension from the ArcGIS Monitor Gallery must be installed.
Historical data from the 3.x or 10.5.x database cannot be migrated as it is not supported. If historical data from 3.x or 10.5.x is needed, run the desired reports in the 3.x or 10.5.x version, and then uninstall System Monitor.
- Log in to the Windows OS as an administrative user.
- Follow the steps in the following document, Import existing Monitor services.
- In the Name field, edit the service name as desired.
- Click File > Save.
- In the tree view, select the service name of the new service. Right-click and select Create Monitor Service.
- Click Yes to all of the User Account Control prompts.
- In the Windows services panel, check that the service was created and is running.
- Right-click the service name, and select Properties.
- In the Log On tab, select This account and type in the domain/user previously used in System Monitor to remotely monitor machines.
- Type in and confirm the password.
- Click Apply and OK.
- Restart the service. Check that it is now running.
- Test each counter that was imported. If successful, click Save. New data will start collecting for those counters. If the test fails, check if any parameters must be updated. If any extensions or tasks were present, the latest version of the extension from the ArcGIS Monitor Gallery must be installed.
Migrate from System Monitor 2.x or 1.x to ArcGIS Monitor
As previously stated, upgrading from System Monitor 2.x or 1.x is not supported due to significant design changes. To migrate to ArcGIS Monitor 10.6, perform the following steps.
- Stop all existing SM <Name> services in the Windows services panel.
- Uninstall 2.x or 1.x, following the System Monitor installation guide for that version.
- Start a separate, new installation of ArcGIS Monitor 10.6.