How To: Create a space time cube from a CSV file in ArcGIS Pro
Creating a space time cube allows visualization and analysis of spatiotemporal data. The Create Space Time Cube tool can be used to structure time-stamped point features into a netCDF data cube and the Visualize Space Time Cube in 3D tool creates a visualization of the space time cube on the map.
Note: Creating a space time cube requires a Date field in the data table. Ensure the CSV file contains a date or time field.
The following instructions describe how to create a space time cube from a CSV file in ArcGIS Pro.
- Add the CSV file in ArcGIS Pro.
- Right-click the CSV layer in the Contents pane and click Display XY Data.
- Export the layer generated to a feature class by right-clicking the CSV layer in the Contents and clicking Data > Export Features.
- Run the Project tool on the output feature class to convert the coordinate system to a projected coordinate system.
- Create a space time cube using the Create Space Time Cube tool with the feature class generated in step 4 as the input feature.
Note: The Create Space Time Cube tool requires an ArcGIS GeoAnalytics Server license. A similar analysis can be done using the Create Space Time Cube By Aggregating Points tool in the Space Time Pattern Mining toolbox.
- Open the Create Space Time Cube tool.
- Select the input feature.
- Specify the location for the output space time cube.
- Select the time field from the drop-down list.
- Specify Time Step Interval and Distance Interval.
- Select the aggregation shape type and click Run.
- Open the Visualize Space Time Cube in 3D tool and set the .nc file generated in step 5 as Input Space Time Cube. The space time cube is displayed on the map.
- ArcGIS Pro Help: Create Space Time Cube By Aggregating Points
- ArcGIS Pro Help: Visualizing the Space Time Cube
- ArcGIS Pro Help: How Creating a Space Time Cube works