How To: Disable creating new related records for a Survey123 form in Collector for ArcGIS
The custom URL scheme of Survey123 for ArcGIS can be used to link to a survey from other applications, such as Collector for ArcGIS. When creating new records in a related table for existing features, Survey123 can be opened from the pop-up window of a feature in Collector for ArcGIS. This workflow is advantageous when desiring form functionalities that are only available in Survey123.
In some instances, when performing this workflow, a new record is mistakenly created in Collector, instead of launching the Survey123 form.
To disable the creation of new related records in Collector for ArcGIS and to create the records in Survey123 instead, disable editing within a specific web map without disabling the option to edit the feature service itself. This allows the user to view the custom URL scheme in the Collector for ArcGIS pop-up window to review existing related records for the selected features, but removes the option to add a new record. This ensures that new related records are only created in Survey123.
To do this, refer to the instructions provided below.
- In the ArcGIS Online web map, click the ellipsis button (...) on the related table and select Disable Editing.
- Leave the feature layer editable. If this is not desirable, ensure that at least one feature layer is editable, or create a dummy layer, make the layer editable, and add the layer to the map.
When the map is opened in Collector for ArcGIS, and a feature is tapped, the existing related records can be viewed but no new records can be created. When launching the survey, the answers are saved into the editable feature service layer, since the survey form is connected to the layer by the Item ID and not through the web map.
- GeoNet: Understanding Survey123's custom URL Scheme
- Survey123 for ArcGIS: Integrate with other apps
- Survey123 for ArcGIS: Form app comparison