Problem: Submitting a survey with an HEIC image attachment in Survey123 for ArcGIS fails with Send Error Code 400
Images captured with an iOS 11 device (iPhone X, iPhone 8 Plus, and iPhone 7) can use the High Efficiency Image Format (HEIF) image format, also known as HEIC. When submitting the survey with an HEIC image attached to an image attachment question, the submission fails with the following error.
Error: This survey was not able to be sent due to the following error: Code 400
HEIC files are not supported by Survey123 for ArcGIS. This is a known limitation.
Solution or Workaround
Prior to capturing the image with the iOS device, change the camera setting to save captured images in another supported format, such as JPEG. The camera setting of the device can be changed by using one of the following methods.
- Disable Live Photo
- Launch the camera app of the iOS device and find the Live Photo icon.
- If the icon is yellow (or gold), tap the icon to turn off Live Photo.
Note: Live Photo is re-enabled every time the app is launched. To maintain that Live Photo remains turned off, go to Settings > Camera > Preserve Settings, and apply the setting to be preserved for Live Photo after it is turned off.
- Set the camera capture settings to Most Compatible
- Go to Settings > Camera > Formats.
- On the Formats screen, select Most Compatible.