How To: Avoid feature-linked annotations from automatically following their linked feature
By default, feature-linked annotations follow their related line or polygon feature. Some users make changes to the feature-linked annotations by editing the annotations to a desired specification. For example, custom angles may be set for certain annotations.
Editing an annotation with a custom angle reverts to follow the default alignment of the line or polygon feature. Users can avoid the feature-linked annotations from automatically following its related feature by disabling the particular setting in Editing Options.
Follow the steps below to disable feature-linked annotations from automatically following their related feature.
Note: Creating and editing feature-linked annotations requires a Standard or Advanced license. The Basic license only allows feature-linked annotations to be viewed.
- In ArcMap, click the Editor drop-down arrow and select Options..., which opens the Editing Options dialog box.
- In the Editing Options dialog box, navigate to the Annotation tab.
- Uncheck the Automatically follow linked line features check box.
- Uncheck the Automatically follow linked polygon features check box.
Note: Unchecking these boxes disables feature-linked annotations from following their linked line or polygon features.
- Click Apply > OK.
- ArcMap Web Help: Editing the features linked to annotation
- ArcMap Web Help: Editing annotation
- FAQ: What is feature-linked annotation?