How To: Hide a map item in the ArcMap map legend but maintain the symbol on the map
By default, the map items listed in a map legend comprise the layers found in Table Of Contents. A map legend can be customized to include only selected map items. A map item can be hidden from the map legend while maintaining the symbol on the map.
Use one of the following methods to hide certain map items from the ArcMap map legend but maintain the symbology on the map:Convert map items to graphics and delete unwanted map items
Note: Use these methods to delete map items in ArcGIS Pro: convert the map legend to graphics, ungroup map items, delete unwanted map items, and re-group map items.
- In the Layout view, insert the map legend by configuring the Legend Wizard dialog box.
- Right-click the map legend, and click Convert to Graphics .
- Right-click the map legend again, and click Ungroup .
The map legend is ungrouped into individual map items.
- Right-click the individual map item, and select Delete .
Note: To select multiple map items, click map items while pressing the SHIFT key on the keyboard. Rearrange the them by dragging and dropping the map items.
- When completed, select all the map items, right-click, and select Group .
- In Table Of Contents, right-click the layer containing the map items to hide. Click Properties > Symbology. For more information, refer to ArcMap: Setting symbol legend properties.
- On the Symbology tab, symbolize using the Categories style, and click Add All Values. For more information, refer to ArcMap: Drawing a layer using categories.
Two headings are generated to separate the map items into two groups: the <all other values> group and the group with a specified Value Field. By default, all map items are included in the map legend if the layer is listed in Legend Items of the Legend Wizard dialog box.
- Create a new heading to hide map items other than the <all other values> group. Right-click the individual map item to hide, and click Move To Heading > New Heading.
- In the New Heading dialog box, specify the new heading name, for example Encumbrance Type 2. Click OK.
- Move the map items to the new heading, for example, Encumbrance Type 2. Click OK.
The image below shows the map items grouped under <all other items>, and the headings Encumbrance Type and Encumbrance Type 2.
- In the Layout view, insert a map legend by selecting Insert > Legend and configure the Legend Wizard dialog box. For more information, refer to ArcMap: Working with legends. In the map legend, map items are grouped under <all other items>, and the headings Encumbrance Type and Encumbrance Type 2.
- Hide the map items in the map legend.
- Double-click the map legend to open the Legend Properties dialog box. Navigate to the Items tab.
- In the Apply settings to selected item(s) field, double-click the related layer to open the Legend Item Properties dialog box.
- In the General Items Properties dialog box, select the General tab.
- At the Only show classes from this heading field, select the heading that includes the map items to be included in the map legend. This is the only heading that will appear for a specific layer in the map legend.
- Click OK to close the Legend Item Properties and Legend Properties dialog box.
Although all map items are still displayed on the map, only the map items under the selected headings are displayed in the map legend.
- ArcMap Help: A quick tour of page layouts
- ArcMap Help: Working with legends
- How To: Change the size of point symbols in the legend without changing the size on the map