How To: Split line segments at midpoint
The instructions provided describe how to split line segments at midpoint. In this example, the workflow describes how to generate midpoints for a line feature dataset and split the lines at midpoints while retaining the attributes.
- In ArcMap, right-click the line feature layer, and select Open Attribute Table.
- In the attribute table, ensure that each segment is a single line feature. Proceed to Step 3 if the line dataset is a singlepart feature. Otherwise, run the Multipart To Singlepart tool to create a new line dataset that has each line segment as a single feature, as shown in the example below.
- Run the Generate Points Along Lines tool with the parameters specified as below:
- For Input Features select the line feature dataset.
- Select PERCENTAGE for Point Placement.
- Specify 50 for Percentage.
- Run the Split Line at Point tool.
Note: This tool requires an ArcGIS Desktop Advanced license.
- For Input Features, select the line feature dataset from the drop-down list.
- Select the midpoint dataset generated in Step 3 for Point Features.
- Set the output name and click OK.
- ArcGIS Desktop: Methods for splitting line features
- ArcGIS Desktop: Creating new points along a line
- How To: Create a start, midpoint, and/or endpoint feature class of a line with an ArcGIS for Desktop Basic or Standard license