Problem: The mouse cursor is stuck as the Pan tool
After a period of time working in ArcMap, the mouse cursor becomes stuck as the Pan tool as the default cursor mode, and cannot be changed to a different cursor mode.
There are several possible causes for this issue. Some examples are:
- Local software is causing the disruption, for example, antivirus software.
- A corrupted Esri template.
- Incompatible hardware, mouse, or keyboard.
Solution or Workaround
This defect has been logged with Esri as BUG-000086476. There are no specific solutions for each possible cause of the issue. Therefore, to resolve this problem, use one of the following possible workarounds.
- Kick-start the currently activated tool to re-enable use of the mouse cursor by pressing the C or G button on the keyboard. This triggers ArcMap to bring forward the proper tool.
- Perform a soft reset on ArcGIS Desktop. For more information about soft reset, refer to the following Knowledge Base article, FAQ: What is the difference between a soft and hard reset? To perform a soft reset, follow the steps below.
Warning: Please be aware that renaming the ESRI folders is a factory reset of ArcGIS, and therefore all third party tools, custom scripts, and/or custom toolbars currently installed must be reinstalled as a result. Additionally, all existing folder connections must be reconnected. Esri cannot guarantee results from incorrect modifications while following these instructions. Use caution and proceed at your own risk.
- In Windows Explorer, navigate to the following folder locations:
Note: The AppData folder is a hidden folder. The following Microsoft Support document describes how to show hidden files: Show hidden files.
- Rename the Desktop10.x folder to Desktop10.x_Old.
- Restart the machine.
- Open ArcMap.
- Whitelist the ArcGIS Desktop install directory. For more information about whitelisting folders on Windows operating systems, refer to the following Microsoft web help document, How to exclude a file/folder from Microsoft Security Essentials scan in Windows 7/Vista/XP?
Note: Contact an IT administrator if necessary.
- BUG-000086476 - The Zoom In, Zoom Out, and Pan tools from the toolbar become stuck in ArcMap after pressing the corresponding Z, X, and C hot keys
- ArcGIS for Desktop: Keyboard shortcuts in ArcMap
- ArcGIS for Desktop: Keyboard shortcuts that can be used while editing
- ArcGIS Desktop: Using the 3D Pan tool