How To: Edit field alias names displayed in ArcGIS Online web scene pop-ups
ArcGIS Online provides the ability to enable pop-ups in 3D web scenes, but there is no way to configure the pop-ups. For example, it is not possible to change the field alias name displayed in the pop-ups. However, ArcGIS Pro provides a method for editing the field alias name in the layer data source before creating a layer package and publishing it to ArcGIS Online as a hosted scene layer.
The instructions provided describe how to edit the field alias name displayed in the ArcGIS Online web scene pop-up.
- In ArcGIS Pro, run the Alter Field tool to edit the field alias name of the multipatch layer table. Open the Geoprocessing pane by clicking the Analysis tab > Tools. In the Geoprocessing pane, click Toolboxes, and navigate to Data Management Tools > Fields > Alter Field.
Note: The changes made directly in the attribute table to the field alias name are not reflected in the layer data source.
- Select the table of the multipatch layer as the Input Table.
- Select the field to edit in the Field Name parameter.
- Type in a name for the New Field Name parameter. To retain the original field name, type in the original name of the field.
- Type in the new field alias name to be displayed in the web scene pop-up in the New Field Alias parameter.
- Click Run.
- Create a scene layer package for the multipatch layer containing the edited field alias name. Refer to the following document for steps to create a scene layer package: Create a 3D object scene layer.
- Upload the scene layer package created in Step 2 to ArcGIS Online using the Share Package tool. Navigate to Data Management Tools > Package > Share Package.
- In the Geoprocessing pane, select the scene layer package created in Step 2 as the Input Package.
- Type in a summary of the scene layer package in the Summary parameter.
- Type in the tags for the scene layer package in the Tags parameter.
- Check the checkbox for any group in the Groups section to share the scene layer package with other groups, if required.
- Click Run.
- Publish a hosted scene layer from the hosted scene layer package uploaded in Step 3.
- Log in to www.arcgis.com.
- Open My Content, and click the hosted scene layer package to open the item details page for the scene layer package to publish.
- Click Publish, and type a unique title and tags for the hosted scene layer.
- Click Publish.
- To view the edited field alias name, add the hosted scene layer to a web scene and enable the pop-up for the layer. The edited field alias name is displayed in the pop-up when clicking on a feature.
- ArcGIS Online: Web scenes
- ArcGIS Online: Publish hosted scene layers
- ArcGIS Blog: How to Publish Scene Layers in ArcGIS Online
Last Published: 12/19/2017
Article ID: 000015060