Error: ERROR 010067: Error in executing grid expression. Failed to execute (Contour)
The Contour tool fails to execute in ArcMap and returns the following error:
Error: ERROR 010067: Error in executing grid expression. Failed to execute (Contour).
The error occurs due to the following reasons:
- When working with a file-based raster dataset, the value for the input is set to a negative integer (such as -32767) instead of a NoData value, which is used to represent the absence of data.
- The input raster does not meet Esri Grid format requirements.
- The Contour tool times out when processing large feature classes in the foreground.
Solution or Workaround
Use one of the following solutions to resolve the error:
- Set the input raster value to NoData by following the steps below:
- In ArcMap, run the Set Null tool (Geoprocessing > ArcToolbox > Spatial Analyst Tools > Conditional > Set Null).
- Select the raster dataset as the Input conditional raster.
- In the Expression box, type VALUE = -32767, where -32767 is the value that must be replaced with NoData.
- Set the Input false raster or constant value to the same raster dataset selected in Step 2.
- Set the desired location for the output raster, and click OK.
- Run the Contour tool using the output raster from Step 5 as the input.
- Before running the Contour tool, export the input raster from a grid format to a TIFF format . For more information on converting raster formats, refer to Export or convert raster datasets.
- Before running the Contour tool, enable background geoprocessing to allow ArcMap to process in the background without crashing. To enable background geoprocessing, go to Geoprocessing > Geoprocessing Options, and select the Enable checkbox in the Background Processing section. For more information on background geoprocessing, refer to Foreground and background processing.
Note: Once the Contour tool executes completely, disable background geoprocessing because some geoprocessing tools perform better in the foreground.
- ArcGIS Desktop Help: Raster conversion tools
- ArcGIS Desktop Help: NoData in raster datasets
- ArcGIS Desktop Help: Setting values to NoData with Set Null
- ArcGIS Desktop Help: Exporting a raster in ArcMap