Error: 080040: Error while executing Desire Lines
Attempting to run the Desire Lines analysis tool in the Esri Business Analyst Desktop toolbox returns the following error message:
Error: ERROR 080040: Error while executing Desire Lines.
This error can occur due to the following reasons:
- Background geoprocessing is enabled by default in ArcMap. If enabled, tools are executed in the background, which allows users to continue working on the layers that are not locked by ArcMap. This can cause issues if the locked layers are dependent on data in other layers.
- The dataset contains null geometries.
- The input point feature layer contains points on non-traversable network element positions.
Solution or Workaround
The following are possible workarounds for this issue:
- Disable Background Geoprocessing
- Review Data
- Setup Store/Customer Using Tabular/XY Data tool
Note: While creating a Customer layer, ensure that the layer contains a Store assignment field. The Store assignment field is based off the Store ID field in the Store layer. Every customer requires a Store assignment that is either based on a predefined assignment, or by nearest location. If this assignment is not made while creating the Customer layer, users have to re-run the Customer Setup wizard to Assign Customers in the following layer to Stores.The following are the four tools for setting up use data depending on the data source and the data type. Upon completing the guided setup process for the dataset, proceed with executing the Desire Lines tool to create the Spider Diagram:
- OD Cost Matrix (Network Analyst extension)
- ArcGIS Help: An overview of the Store Setup toolset
- ArcGIS Help: An overview of the Customer Setup toolset
- ArcGIS Help: Foreground and background geoprocessing
- ArcGIS Help: Checking and repairing geometries