Problem: Web maps containing versioned data fail to download for offline use
Attempting to download a web map containing ArcGIS Server feature services for offline use with Collector for ArcGIS fails, and returns the error message:
Error: The operation couldn't be completed. Error in obtaining version for Sync.or
Error: The map 'Map_Name' failed to download with the message: Error in obtaining version for Sync.
The following entry is found in the server logs:
When users download a web map containing versioned data for offline use, the Create Replica call is used to create a local copy of the data with a version name. By design, the version name of the replica also includes the user name of the user (editor) who downloads the web map.
Although the documented limit for version names is 64 characters, in ArcGIS 10.3.1 for Server, this error occurs because the version name exceeds 30 characters in length due to the user name being too long. This is a known limitation, and is logged as BUG-000090931. For more information, refer to ArcGIS for Desktop Help: System tables in a geodatabase - SDE_versions.
Solution or Workaround
Use one of the workarounds provided below to solve this issue.
- To allow users with long user names to download the web map, the administrator must change the sync option, Create a version for each, to User. To do so, follow the steps provided in the following document, ArcGIS for Server Help: Prepare data for offline use - Sync options.
The default Create a version for each Downloaded Map option only allows a limit of only 14 characters in the user name because the Downloaded Map option also includes a 13-character unique ID in the version name. For more information, refer to ArcGIS for Server Help: Offline maps and versioned data.
- When downloading the web map for offline use, ensure the user name is not too long. Editors with long user names may change their user name temporarily to allow the download to complete successfully before editing.
- Since this issue is specific to the 10.3.1 version of ArcGIS for Server, upgrade to ArcGIS 10.4 for Server to prevent this issue from occurring.
- ArcGIS for Server Help: Editing service properties in ArcGIS for Desktop
- ArcGIS Help: Collector for ArcGIS - Prepare maps for offline use