Problem: An invalid feature class type error is returned when setting the input layer for the Make Route Event Layer tool
The Make Route Event Layer tool creates a temporary route event feature layer using an input of a route feature class. In some instances, the following generic error is returned when setting the feature class input in the Make Route Event Layer tool window.
Error: Invalid feature class type
This issue occurs when a line feature layer is used as input for the Make Route Event Layer tool, and M-values are not enabled. The line feature layer input does not have the capability to store route data. A feature layer can only support route data when the feature class is M-enabled.
Solution or Workaround
Follow the instructions below to create an M-enabled feature class before using the feature class as the input layer in the Make Route Event Layer tool.
- Use the feature class as the Input Features in the Feature Class to Feature Class tool.
- Select an output location and output feature class name.
- Click the Environments... button.
- Set the M Values environment to Enabled.
- Click OK twice to close the Environment Settings dialog and run the Feature Class to Feature Class tool.
Note: The Make Route Event Layer tool requires a route feature class with M-values. For more information, refer to the following Esri technical article, KB# 000013763 - Problem: Empty output is returned by the Make Route Event Layer tool.
- ArcMap: Defining the measure properties of your m-coordinates
- ArcMap: Make Route Event Layer
- ArcMap: Feature Class to Feature Class
- ArcMap: Output has M Values (Environment setting)