Problem: Edits to a feature layer are not visible
In some instances, when editing a feature layer in ArcMap or ArcGIS Pro, the edits are not visible. When sharing the feature layer to ArcGIS Online, and editing the layer either in Map Viewer or Collector for ArcGIS, the edits to the hosted feature layer are also not visible.
This issue may occur if the feature layer contains a definition query. For more information, refer to ArcGIS Online: Publish hosted feature layers.
Solution or Workaround
To circumvent the issue, use one of the following options before publishing the layer to ArcGIS Online:
Export the subset of the data to a new feature class
To keep the definition query, export the subset of the data to a new feature class in ArcMap or ArcGIS Pro. For more information, refer to ArcMap: Exporting features.
Remove the definition query
- In ArcMap or ArcGIS Pro, right-click the layer in Table of Contents and click Properties.
- In the Layer Properties dialog box, click the Definition Query tab.
- In the Definition Query box, remove the definition query and click OK.
After applying one of the above options, publish the feature layer as a service from ArcMap or ArcGIS Pro, and edit the features in ArcGIS Online Map Viewer and Collector for ArcGIS.
The following images show the edit is not preserved (top image), and the edit is preserved (bottom image) in ArcGIS Online Map Viewer when the feature service does not contain any definition query.
- ArcMap Help: Displaying a subset of features in a layer
- ArcMap Help: Creating a definition query
- GeoNet: ArcGIS 10 - Can not edit feature class with definition query
- Error: Invalid XML