Problem: Unable to add a field in the attribute table of a feature collection
Users are unable to add a new field to the attribute table of a feature collection in ArcGIS Online.
This is by design. New fields cannot be added to a feature collection because the changes done to the feature collection are only temporarily reflected in the web map, and not applied to the original data.
Solution or Workaround
As a workaround, follow the instructions provided below to publish the feature collection layer as a hosted feature service, before adding a new field to the service.
- Log in to ArcGIS Online, and open the My Content page.
- Click the drop-down arrow next to the feature collection layer (listed as Feature Layer under the Type section), and click View item details.
- Publish the layer. A hosted feature service is now created. For more information, refer to ArcGIS Online Help: Publish a feature collection.
- Open the hosted feature service in the map viewer.
- Open the attribute table by clicking the Show Table button from the Contents window.
- Click Table Options > Add Field. For more information on adding a field to a feature service, refer to ArcGIS Online Help: Add a field.
Note: Only the owner of a hosted feature layer or an administrator of the organization is able to make changes to the attribute schema.
ArcGIS Online Help: Feature collections
ArcGIS Online Help: About hosted web layers
ArcGIS Online Help: Publish hosted feature layers
ArcGIS Online Help: Manage hosted web layers
How To: Add a field to an ArcGIS Online hosted feature service