How To: Add a custom favicon to Portal for ArcGIS
A favicon is the icon that displays in a web browser when viewing a website. It is also associated with the saved bookmark or favorite shortcut for a website. For example, by default, in Internet Explorer, the favicon is displayed as the 'e' icon in the browser.
The steps below describe how to configure Portal for ArcGIS with a custom favicon.
Before a custom favicon can be added to Portal, a favicon image must be created that meets the following specifications:
- 16x16 pixels or 32x32 pixels
- 8-bit or 24-bit colors
- The format can be either PNG, GIF, or ICO
Because the ICO image format provides the best results, these instructions refer to this format.
- Create the favicon image file. Since the favicon is a very small image, it is best to keep it simple. Modify the image using graphic design software that has the ability to create a .ico image and meets the above standards. Save the image as 'favicon.ico'.
Note: GIMP is an image manipulation program that is freely distributed and has the capability to create .ico files.
- Once the favicon.ico is created, save it in the website root folder where ArcGIS Web Adaptor for Portal is installed. On a Microsoft Windows server, this is normally the wwwroot folder.
- For the browser to recognize the custom favicon for the Portal website, it may be necessary to delete the browser's offline files. This process is different for each type of browser. Refer to the browser's help documentation for this procedure.
- Refresh the web browser.
- Favicon Generator (Includes mobile platforms)