How To: Configure the Spatiotemporal Big Data Store with the GeoEvent Extension
The Spatiotemporal Big Data Store is a special type of database used for storing feature service data, and is only available when using the ArcGIS Data Store product. It is used primarily with the GeoEvent Extension of ArcGIS Server starting at the 10.4 version, and can store and query many more data records than a traditional RDBMS.
Installing and configuring a Spatiotemporal Big Data Store implementation requires a minimum of three (3) server machines. This does not include any machines for redundancy and backup of the Spatiotemporal Big Data Store itself.
- The Web GIS Server (machine 1), consists of the following software: Portal for ArcGIS, ArcGIS Web Adaptor (IIIS), ArcGIS Data Store
- The Real Time Server (machine 2), consists of the following software: ArcGIS Server, ArcGIS GeoEvent Extension for Server
- The Big Data Server (machine 3) consists of the ArcGIS Data Store product configured as the Spatiotemporal Big Data Store
For data to be written to the Spatiotemporal Big Data Store, the software must be configured in a specific order:
- Install and configure the Portal for ArcGIS.
- Install and configure the ArcGIS Web Adaptor (IIS) to use with Portal for ArcGIS.
- Install and configure the ArcGIS Server.
- Install and configure the ArcGIS Data Store on machine 1 to be used by the ArcGIS Server. This should be the ArcGIS Server's Managed Geodatabase when viewed within ArcGIS Server Manager.
- Federate Portal for ArcGIS with ArcGIS Server, selecting the ArcGIS Server as the "Hosting Server".
- Install any Domain or other CA SSL certificates within the Portal for ArcGIS and ArcGIS Server key stores. If no SSL certificates are required, proceed to step 7.
- Install the ArcGIS GeoEvent Extension for Server. Verify that the default connection is set to "PORTAL".
- Install the ArcGIS Data Store on machine 3 (Big Data Server). Close the web page that pops up when the installation is complete.
- Within a command prompt on the machine, change the directory to C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\DataStore\tools. Run the "configuredatastore" file using the following parameters:
configuredatastore <ArcGIS Server admin URL> <ArcGIS Server administrator> <ArcGIS Server administrator password> <data directory> --stores spatiotemporal
- After the program executes with a success message, a new Spatiotemporal Big Data Store output can be created with the ArcGIS GeoEvent Extension.
Last Published: 3/13/2019
Article ID: 000013172