Error: Error performing submit job operation for Export Tiles on Export Cache
When performing the Export Tiles operation on a cached map service or basemap to export an area of interest to a tile cache for offline use in Collector for ArcGIS, the operation fails with the following error.
Error: "Error performing submit job operation for Export Tiles on Export Cache"
The error displays as the following at the REST endpoint for the Export Tiles operation.
When viewing the server logs in ArcGIS Server Manager, the error is logged as the following.
This error occurs when the map service has a custom projection. A custom projection does not have an associated well-known ID (WKID). As a result, the service applies the well-known text (WKT) format for the exportExtent parameter when exporting the tiles to a tile cache for offline use in Collector for ArcGIS.
The WKT format contains invalid syntax that is unsupported when using the Export Tiles operation. For more information, refer to ArcGIS Resources: ArcGIS REST API - Export Tiles.
Solution or Workaround
Use one of the workarounds provided below.
- Instead of using a custom projection, set the spatial reference for the map service in ArcMap using the Define Projection tool, and re-cache the service.
- Export the tiles at the REST endpoint. If the tiles are exported using the Export Tiles request directly from the REST endpoint, setting the exportExtent parameter as Default or specifying the extent with the correct syntax allows map services with a custom projection to successfully export the tiles. For more information on exporting map tiles, refer to ArcGIS Server: The basics of exporting and importing tiles.
- Sideload the tile package (TPK) files to the device for offline use in Collector for ArcGIS. To do so, refer to the following GeoNet thread, How to sideload your own tile package for offline use.
Note: When using ArcGIS Online basemaps and downloading maps for offline editing in Collector for ArcGIS, the above error message is displayed when the download fails due to service disruptions when ArcGIS servers are experiencing downtime. Status information for ArcGIS Online services can be viewed at ArcGIS Online Health Dashboard. When service resumes operating, try downloading the map again.
- ArcGIS Help: Collector for ArcGIS - Go offline
- ArcGIS Blog: Using your own Basemap layers with Collector for ArcGIS
- GeoNet: Create Cache and TPK Without ArcGIS for Server - Workflows for Desktop Users
- GeoNet: Downloading maps for offline editing