How To: Fit feature labels within polygon boundaries
In some instances, when labeling polygon features, the text overruns the polygon boundaries.
The instructions provided describe how to fit feature labels within polygon boundaries.
- From the Labeling toolbar, turn on the Maplex Label Engine.
- Click the Label Manager button. This opens the Label Manager window.
- Click the feature layer from the list of Label Classes.
- Click Properties to open the Placement Properties window, and click the Fitting Strategy tab.
- Uncheck Overrun feature, and check the Reduce font size check box.
- Click Strategy Order to open the Strategy Order window.
- Set the Reduce label in size as the highest priority by bringing the property to the top of the list. Click OK.
The features labels are fit within the polygon boundaries.
Last Published: 2/7/2017
Article ID: 000012903
Software: ArcGIS for Desktop Advanced 10.4, 10.3.1, 10.3, 10.2.2, 10.2.1, 10.2, 10.1 ArcGIS for Desktop Basic 10.4, 10.3.1, 10.3, 10.2.2, 10.2.1, 10.2, 10.1 ArcGIS for Desktop Standard 10.4, 10.3.1, 10.3, 10.2.2, 10.2.1, 10.2, 10.1 ArcMap 10.4.1, 10.3, 10.2.1, 10.1