Error: Failed to register as versioned. Operation is not supported on a table that is moving edits to base
Attempts to register a feature dataset as versioned returns an error message:
Error: Failed to register as versioned. Operation is not supported on a table that is moving edits to base.
This issue occurs when a feature dataset contains feature classes that have different settings selected when registering as versioned. During the process to register a feature class as versioned, the option to move edits to base is available. In the event the feature dataset contains one or more feature classes that are registered with the move edits to base options selected (while the remaining feature classes do not) the error message is returned.
For more information on the option to move edits to base, please refer to ArcGIS Help: Deciding how to register data.
Solution or Workaround
Use one of the two workaround options listed below to solve this issue.
Warning: The following workarounds may affect users and map services connected to the geodatabase. It is recommended to disconnect all users and shut down all map services connected to the geodatabase before attempting the following workarounds.
This workaround retains all data within the dataset. If the affected feature classes or annotation classes are not critical or in use, please refer to Non-dependent dataset.
- Obtain a copy of the most recent backup of the database.
- Disconnect all users from the dataset.
- Reconcile/Post all versions. For more information, refer to ArcGIS Help: Reconciling a version.
- Compress the geodatabase.
- Unregister the feature dataset as versioned.
- Create a new file geodatabase and copy the entire affected feature dataset to it.
- Delete the affected feature dataset from the ArcSDE geodatabase.
- Copy the feature dataset from the newly created file geodatabase (from Step 5) to the ArcSDE geodatabase.
- Register the feature dataset as versioned, with or without the option to move edits to base.
This solution removes the feature classes or annotation classes that have the move edits to base options selected.
- Review and identify the feature classes or annotation classes within the feature dataset that have move edits to base enabled.
- Unregister and remove the feature classes or annotation classes identified in Step 1.
- The feature dataset is able to be registered as versioned.
- ArcGIS Help: An overview of versioning
- ArcGIS Help: A quick tour of registering and unregistering data as versioned
- ArcGIS Help: Registering data as versioned
- ArcGIS Help: Unregistering data as versioned
- Bug: Versioned tables with the option 'move edits to base' will compress objects to the base table which have not been saved in the DEFAULT version