Problem: Unable to reset the path of a mosaic dataset
Attempting to repair a mosaic dataset data source using the Repair Mosaic Dataset Paths tool or the Repair Mosaic Dataset dialog box fails to reset the path.
This issue may occur due to one of the following reasons:
- The mapped network drive is altered by the network administrator; hence, the map drive is unable to connect when using the Repair Mosaic Dataset tool (e.g. \\ServerA\CityData\Rasters is changed to \\ServerA\CityData\Images).
- There is a change in the file name or file extension.
Solution or Workaround
Use Option A if the mosaic dataset is moved and renamed in the mapped network drive. Option B is recommended if the mosaic dataset is referring to the images of an external dataset.
- Create a new empty mosaic dataset.
- Add the rasters to the mosaic dataset using the Add Raster To Mosaic Dataset tool.
- In the Catalog window, right-click the mosaic dataset > Optimize > Build Overviews.
Note: Additionally, add the footprints from the previous mosaic dataset using the Import Mosaic Dataset Geometry tool. For more information on mosaic dataset footprints, refer to the following ArcGIS Web Help topic, Mosaic dataset footprints.
- Remove the primary raster and overview from the dataset by right-clicking the raster in the Catalog window > Remove.
- Add the raster from the new location by right-clicking the raster in the Catalog window, and click Add Rasters.
- Rebuild the overviews by right-clicking the raster in the Catalog window > Optimize > Build Overviews.
For more information on mosaic dataset overviews, refer to the following ArcGIS Web Help topic, Mosaic dataset overviews.
Note: Use Universal Naming Convention (UNC) paths when repairing mosaic datasets. For more information on using UNC paths, refer to the following documentation, Paths explained: Absolute, relative, UNC, and URL.
- ArcGIS Help: Creating a mosaic dataset
- ArcGIS Help: Add Rasters To Mosaic Dataset
- ArcGIS Help: Import Mosaic Dataset Geometry
- ArcGIS Help: Repairing paths in a mosaic dataset
- ArcGIS Help: Repair Mosaic Dataset Paths