Error: Open of file "filename.kmz" failed: Parse error at line x, column y: mismatched tag
After converting a layer or map document to a KMZ file in ArcMap using the Layer To KML tool, the file cannot be opened in Google Earth, and a parse error regarding mismatched tags is returned:
Error: Open of file "<file name>.kmz" failed: Parse error at line x, column y: mismatched tag
The issue may be caused, but is not limited to:
- The data or field name within the layer or map document contains invalid characters.
- The geodatabase is corrupted.
Solution or Workaround
Use one of the following solutions, depending on the cause.
- Invalid character usage
For invalid characters or formatting, ensure that prior to converting the layer or the map document to KML, rename or remove any invalid characters from the table. When using Python scripts, determine if the table contains invalid characters with the ValidateTableName and ValidateFieldName functions. For more information, refer to ArcGIS Help: Validating table and field names in Python.
- Corrupted geodatabase
In the event of a corrupted geodatabase, use the Recover File Geodatabase tool to recover the geodatabase and run the Layer to KML tool to convert the geodatabase to a KMZ file. For more information, refer to ArcGIS Help: Recover File Geodatabase.
- ArcGIS Help: Understanding field properties, aliases, and table display options
- ArcGIS Help: ArcGIS field data types
- ArcGIS Help: How Recover File Geodatabase works
- ArcGIS Help: Formatting a table in Microsoft Excel for use in ArcGIS
- Esri Knowledge Base: Performance issues when opening a map document
- Esri Knowledge Base: Recover a corrupt shapefile