Error: Saving Data, Output name is not valid
In some instances, when exporting data to a shapefile, or attempting to convert graphics to features in ArcMap, the following error message is returned:
Saving Data, Output name is not valid
The error occurs due to one of the following reasons:
- The output feature class name begins with a number or a special character.
- Saving a feature class to a folder other than a geodatabase (.gdb).
- Saving a shapefile to a .gdb.
Select one of the following options to resolve this issue:
- Use a feature class name that begins with a letter, not a number or a special character. For further information, refer to the following documentation, ArcGIS Help: Defining feature class properties.
- If saving data as a feature class, select File and Personal Geodatabase feature classes as the output file type and, specify a .gdb as the output location.
- If saving data as a shapefile, select Shapefile as the output file type, and specify a non-geodatabase folder as the output location.
Last Published: 3/19/2018
Article ID: 000012804
Software: ArcGIS for Desktop Advanced 10.3, 10.2.2, 10.2.1, 10.2, 10.1 ArcGIS for Desktop Basic 10.3, 10.2.2, 10.2.1, 10.2, 10.1 ArcGIS for Desktop Standard 10.3, 10.2.2, 10.2.1, 10.2, 10.1 ArcMap 10.5.1, 10.4.1, 10.3, 10.2.1, 10.1