Error: Saving Data, Output name is not valid
In some instances, when exporting data to a shapefile, or attempting to convert graphics to features in ArcMap, the following error message is returned:
Saving Data, Output name is not valid
The error occurs due to one of the following reasons:
- The output feature class name begins with a number or a special character.
- Saving a feature class to a folder other than a geodatabase (.gdb).
- Saving a shapefile to a .gdb.
Select one of the following options to resolve this issue:
- Use a feature class name that begins with a letter, not a number or a special character. For further information, refer to the following documentation, ArcGIS Help: Defining feature class properties.
- If saving data as a feature class, select File and Personal Geodatabase feature classes as the output file type and, specify a .gdb as the output location.
- If saving data as a shapefile, select Shapefile as the output file type, and specify a non-geodatabase folder as the output location.
Last Modified: 3/19/2018
Article ID: 000012804
Software: ArcMap 10.5.1,10.1,10.4.1,10.3,10.2.1 ArcGIS for Desktop Advanced 10.1, 10.2, 10.2.1, 10.2.2, 10.3 ArcGIS for Desktop Basic 10.1, 10.2, 10.2.1, 10.2.2, 10.3 ArcGIS for Desktop Standard 10.1, 10.2, 10.2.1, 10.2.2, 10.3