Error: The feature geometry could not be modified. The coordinates or measures are out of bounds
In some instances, the following error occurs when attempting to edit an MXD file:
Error: "The feature geometry could not be modified. The coordinates or measures are out of bounds."
The most common cause for this issue is GIS data that has been added to the map document that is outside the bounding coordinates of the area being edited. This can occur when all data in the map is not in the same coordinate system, along with the ArcMap Data Frame. For example:
- The feature class and the data frame are in a different coordinate system
- The presence of a shapefile created using GPS Pathfinder Office software
- Z and M values are present in the shapefile
- The coordinates of the added feature are beyond the extents of the feature class' X, Y domain
- The presence of a CAD layer in an existing map document or a new map document. The CAD data may be in some custom local coordinate system in the map, or include viewports, HATCH anchor points, or reference attachment points; types of entities are often outside the allowable extent of the data
Solution or Workaround
Use one or more solutions provided to resolve the issue.
- Ensure the feature class and the data frame are in the same coordinate system. If the feature class and the data frame are in a different coordinate system, use the Project tool to change the coordinate system. For more information, refer to the following ArcGIS Web Help topic, Project.
- Remove the Z and M values. Refer the following KB Article, HowTo: Remove Z- and/or M- values from a feature class.
- Update the feature class' X, Y extent domain. Refer to the steps in the following web help topic, Recalculate Feature Class Extent.
- Remove the CAD layer present in the map document.
Note: The Recalculate Feature Class Extent tool is only available with the ArcGIS Desktop Standard or Advanced license.
Last Published: 5/6/2021
Article ID: 000012800
Software: ArcGIS for Desktop Advanced 10.3, 10.2.2, 10.2.1, 10.2, 10.1 ArcGIS for Desktop Basic 10.3, 10.2.2, 10.2.1, 10.2, 10.1 ArcGIS for Desktop Standard 10.3, 10.2.2, 10.2.1, 10.2, 10.1