Error: The feature geometry could not be modified. The coordinates or measures are out of bounds
In some instances the following error occurs when attempting to edit an existing MXD file containing a CAD layer, editing a feature class in a different coordinate system, editing Z and M values in a shapefile created using GPS Pathfinder Office software, or editing a feature class in ArcMap:
Error: "The feature geometry could not be modified. The coordinates or measures are out of bounds."
There are several potential causes for this issue.
- The presence of a CAD layer in an existing map document or a new map document.
- The feature class and the data frame are in a different coordinate system.
- Z and M values are present in the shapefile.
- The coordinates of the added feature are beyond the extents of the feature class' X, Y domain.
Solution or Workaround
Use one or more solutions provided to resolve the issue.
- Remove the CAD layer present in the map document.
- Ensure the feature class and the data frame are in the same coordinate system. If the feature class and the data frame are in a different coordinate system, use the Project tool to change the coordinate system. For more information, refer to the following ArcGIS Web Help topic, Project.
- Remove the Z and M values. Refer the following KB Article, HowTo: Remove Z- and/or M- values from a feature class.
- Update the feature class' X, Y extent domain. Refer to the steps in the following web help topic, Recalculate Feature Class Extent.
Note: The Recalculate Feature Class Extent tool is only available with the ArcGIS Desktop Standard or Advanced license.