Bug: BUG-000094576: Upgrading Portal for ArcGIS 10.3.1 to 10.4 fails if Collector and/or Survey123 was previously registered with Portal
During an upgrade of Portal for ArcGIS 10.3.1 to 10.4, the upgrade may fail, and return the following error:
"There was an error creating your initial administrator account.
Migration failed. Failed to update the database schema from version 10.3.1 to version 10.4.0 during migration.
For more information, please view the log messages located in the content directory specified during setup."
The details in the portal logs state:
"Error in migration. Failed to update the database schema from version 10.3.1 to version 10.4.0 during migration".
This issue can occur if the following workflows were used to add Collector for ArcGIS (Windows) or Survey123 for ArcGIS as registered applications in Portal for ArcGIS 10.3.1:
• Add Collector for ArcGIS (Windows) as a registered application to Portal for ArcGIS 10.3.1
• Add Survey123 for ArcGIS as a registered application to Portal for ArcGIS 10.3.1
If the upgrade process has already begun and this issue is encountered, please contact Esri Technical Support.
To avoid this error, unregister Collector for ArcGIS and/or Survey123 for ArcGIS from Portal for ArcGIS 10.3.1 prior to upgrading.
- Open the ArcGIS Portal Directory sharing application and log in as a member with administrative privileges. The URL format is:
- Navigate to the administrative user’s content where the app was registered.
- Select the app for Collector for ArcGIS or Survey123 for ArcGIS from the list of items.
- Under Related Operations, click Unregister App.
- Under Supported Operations, click Delete Item.
- Do this for both Collector for ArcGIS and Survey123 for ArcGIS if both apps have been registered.
Portal for ArcGIS 10.3.1 can now be upgraded to Portal for ArcGIS 10.4 without encountering this issue.
It is not necessary to manually register Collector for ArcGIS or Survey123 for ArcGIS after upgrading to 10.4. These apps come pre-registered in Portal for ArcGIS 10.4.